1. What are you looking forward to as you embark on life after Georgia Tech?
Well, going to Japan! Part of my longer-term vision is to relocate and work professionally in Japan. I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to help with the 2023 LBAT Japan in Beppu, Japan. I'm very much looking forward to the onsen (natural hot springs). It will be busy and hectic but also fun!
2. How was your experience at Georgia Tech?
Ah, Georgia Tech is still Georgia Tech. I came here as an undergrad in 2011, and coming back has been very nostalgic. Still, the good 'ol Tech that I know and I clearly didn't have enough punishment the first time around! I've been very fortunate at Georgia Tech to be surrounded by supportive and collaborative professors, faculty, and advisors.
3. Where will you be looking to work after graduation?
After graduating, I will attend Yokohama IUC, a specialized language school, to study advanced Japanese used in academia and specialized technical fields. After completing my Ph.D., I intend to work in the Tech industry in Japan, most likely in Shibuya.
4. Why did you choose Georgia Tech to further your education?
I wanted to pursue a Ph.D. from the University of Tokyo's Graduate School of Interdisciplinary Information Studies. The newly created Global Media and Cultures program at Georgia Tech was a good fit for preparing for that next step. I chose Georgia Tech because of my positive experience with the Japanese department when I was in undergrad. I have always found the Japanese department very supportive and welcoming, so coming back was an easy decision.
5. What is your favorite memory from Georgia Tech?
Weekly Japanese conversation practice and participating in events hosted by the Japanese Student Association! It's really cool to see the passion and interest of the students outside of the formal classroom setting. Going to chit-chat with friends at the end of a grueling week was a great way to head into the weekend. I also made some great friends along the way.
Congratulations, Galen! Meet more of the IAC Class of 2023:
- Rylee Calhoun, graduating with a B.S. in Economics
- Nora Fahim, graduating with a B.S. in Economics and International Affairs and a minor in Middle Eastern and North African Studies
- Vikas Madhav Nagarajan, graduating with an M.S. in Public Policy
- Isabelle-Yara Nassar, graduating with a B.S. in International Affairs and minors in Global Development and Law, Science, and Technology
- Jacob Young, graduating with a B.S. in History, Technology, and Society and B.S. in International Affairs